Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Happy Birthday!

This is dedicated to my bff Jill who is celebrating her special day today.

I have had lots of friends in my life who are good friends. Lots of friends in my life that have been good good friends. But just a precious few who have been really truly deeply wonderful friends of the heart.

What is the difference you say?

When your kid is sick a good friend says "I'm sorry".
A wonderful friend says, "Here...have my last bottle of cough syrup."

When your car is trashed, a good friend says, "Gross."
A wonderful friend says, "Ha! That's nothing, look in my back seat" and then shows you so you don't feel as bad.

When you don't have a computer, a good friend says, "Can't wait until you get one."
A wonderful friend says, "Here have my extra laptop...and here is our encryption key."

When its nice outside, a good friend tells you about her time at the park.
A wonderful friend invites you to share a picnic.

When its cooler outside in the fall, a good friend call you from under a blanket.
A wonderful friend invites you share a picnic and blankets.

A good friend shares her recipes with you.
A wonderful friend brings you her best cookies every time she makes them.

A good friend politely ignores the topic of finances.
A wonderful friend groans with you on rent day...knowing you are calculating how many times this week you have to eat mac and cheese.

A good friend makes sure her kids are neat and tidy and polite around you.
A wonderful friend look at their naked kid on the stairs and says, "I'm glad its you that saw that."

A good friend cleans up before you come over.
A wonderful friend just pushes the piles over and invites you in to her real world.

A good friend likes to hear stories about your kids and how they grow and change.
A wonderful friend is right there with your kids, pulling their teeth and then funding the tooth fairy.

A good friend lends you a cup of sugar.
A wonderful friend lends you her sugar, her eggs, 1/2 her milk for the year, her kitchen towels, kitchen cleaner, tupperware, pots and pans, spaghetti sauce, peanut butter, and toilet paper...and never asks for them back...knowing she'll get them back when she comes over to ask for jalapenos or soy sauce.

A good friend gives your kid a drink.
A wonderful friend sends your kid home with a sippy cup knowing you are the worst possible custodian of sippys.

A good friend doesn't mention she is going out to fave restaurant without you.
A wonderful friend tells you and then brings you some Italian Nachos.

A good friend will you call you back if she misses your call during dinner.
A wonderful will jump up from her plate to give you a hug and listen to all your drama.

A good friend knows your kids names.
A wonderful friend is a delight for you kids and they run to her and give her hugs.

A good friend will call you on their lunch break.
A wonderful friend asks you to "help" them clean a house...cleans circles around you...does more than 1/2 the work...then split the money with you anyway.

A good friend says, "I'll let you go so you can get ready."
A wonderful friend says, "Here I"ll do hair."

A good friend says, "It's time for dinner, I'll talk to you later."
A wonderful friend says, "Hey, I made all this Italian soup...you want 1/2?"

...and I haven't even scratched the surface of all the amazing ways Jill is a wonderful friend.

I'm so thankful to have her in my life. Have a great day...and a wonderful year. Love ya!

3 comments:

  1. I don't think "thank you" does this post justice. And you should know that for every wonderful thing you think of, I have one with the name Jayme on it. I love you! Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so totally lucky to have freinds like that close by! It's so hard to not have anyone around like that... rural life is the PITS! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm one of Kim's friends, I loved this post. By the way, great job on your progress. I also have two girls, I don't know how you do so much, you're an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete