Wednesday, January 16, 2008

888 update

A few days ago I finished my #3 book...The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathon Stroud.

Its the first of a trilogy. It was a really fun book to read...much easier to stomach than my last pick. It was still pretty dark...being about a young magician named Nathaniel who has been apprenticed to a not so nice or nurturing old grumpy dude. He lets his incredibly smart and talented apprentice get humiliated in front of some other adults...and the rest of the story is about Nathianel's handling of that situation.

It was a cleverly written book...with a very witty djinni (I think something like a genie) telling part of the story complete with his sarcasm in footnotes.

Me: Neal, you should read this book. It was good.
Neal: Why? Its not like its educational or enlightening. What's the value?
* which is total teasing *
Me: Just because its fun doesn't mean it doesn't have any value.
Neal: Mock-snubbing -- I'm getting my own books to read.
Me: You're just jealous because I'm going to do this really cool challenge. And I've already read 3 books and you haven't read any.
* which is not true...he has read as many as I have...maybe even more)*
Neal: groan...I'm going to the library. And you won't make it past 20 books.
Me: Ohhhhhh...its on now buddy.

Our house is fun sometimes. :)

My next read is the Golden Compass. We'll cross that bridge later. :)

8 comments:

  1. You read too fast for me! I've only read one chapter in my new study book and haven't gotten to the fiction one yet... when do you have time? We don't have kids and I don't feel like I have enough time (sometimes wonder how we are gonna do the kid thing at all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahahahahahhaha

    My neighbor asked me that too. I have been reading at night when the kids go to bed...when I'm in the bathtub...when I'm in the bathroom. (Sometimes I hang out in the bathroom extra long to get some space.) I read during movies sometimes...or when I'm waiting on Neal. I read as rewards to myself for getting something cleaned. Sometimes I read when I eat. I have learned that 15 mins here and there gets a lot of pages read.

    If I was really smart...I would keep my book with me when I went to pick up Addy ... or when I went to the waiting room of the doctors office.

    I also read really really fast.

    I also confess to reading when I should be doing something else...like laundry...or picking up. :) Its all good though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea- I think I picked up the reading in the bathtub from you :-) I'm just afraid of dropping the book! I am finding myself reading more while the tv is on, and before I go to bed, and on my lunch break at work. We'll see how it goes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the reasons I don't start a book is because I can't put it down. With me it would be more than laundry, my house would be in shambles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read your entire blog. I like the way you write (or is it "type" instead of "write?") I am sitting in a Sunset Bible class right now and I feel oh so sneaky to have been reading your blog and now I'm writing you a note. Every so often I will look up at the instructor and give a look like he just said something very profound, but really I'm just blogging. I'll check in later - maybe next class period! --sean--

    ReplyDelete
  6. What happened to you, It's like you fell off the face of the planet...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was beginning to wonder the very same thing... everything okay?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, is RWR posting his own blog?? Is he ready for that COOL trip to Mexico? Because if he isn't, I propose we make it a sisters trip. Yeah, that sounds great!

    Jayme - SO glad you're back...seeing as blogging is how we seem to keep in touch most easily even though you're only on the other side of town!

    ReplyDelete