Sunday, January 13, 2008

888 update

In an effort to keep from Sean from skipping this post:

Jayme: Hey ... we don't really need all these books do we?
Neal: YES!
Jayme: But they just take up space!
Neal: But they mean something to me!
Jayme: What could Clive Cussler (or whatever) possible MEAN to you?
Neal: It just does. Can't we keep them?
Jayme: How about it a box in the closet?
Neal: Groan.

Well...don't tell him...but I'm a little sad we won't be keeping all the books I read in this challenge. They are a little like trophies. Stories you read become a little piece of you...you know? Oh well. I am grateful I have the library to keep me from spending a fortune on books...but still.

I finished book #2 -- The Kite Runner.

It is a story set in Afghanistan...and is the story of two little boys living in Kabul right before it gets really ugly politically there.

I talked to my Aunt Shirley about this book right after I started it. She told me that it took her two tries to read the book...because it was so painful she had to put it down and come back to it later. I have to agree...it was NOT a fun book to read. And not because it was boring or poorly written. It was because the characters were soooo real and it hurt me to watch their painful stories unfold. I have never had that experience with a book before. It actually hurt me to read it.

I will NOT be seeing the movie...because I don't think I can bear to watch it...or live that story again.

HOWEVER...Now that I am several days removed from reading it...I can say that it was a really really really good book. And even a good story. And I'm glad I read it. I will still cringe when I hear news stories about this area of the country...sigh. But I am glad I read it...and I would encourage others to read it...but not without a bunch of chocolate to counter effect the depression. Something I was sorely missing while I read it. :)

On a happier ... or a least more fun side...I declared I needed a story with sunshine and rainbows and picked up book #3-- the Amulet of Samarkand. And it is fun...but...not sunshine and rainbows. Its kind of a dark book as well...but at least it is fun to read. More on it later.

1 comment:

  1. Another nice thing about the library is that it gives you a deadline to get the book read. I know you can renew your check out to give you more time, but it always was a challenge to me to get them all turned in on time! :-)

    ReplyDelete