Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Golden Compass thoughts

Jayme's first thoughts upon hearing about TGC.

-ooooh...that's bad news. that's not good. don't want any anti-christian stuff popping up in culture. must be careful.

Neal's first thoughts upon hearing about TGC.

--Oh great. There go Christians again. Jumping all over something that probably isn't worth jumping all over...making Christianity look bad. Before I get on the bandwagon...I better go read the whole trilogy myself...and then do some research on this Pullman dude.

Jayme's next thoughts:

--Oh. Well..yeah...that makes more sense than just freaking out.

Ok...so. Yes. Phillip Pullman is an atheist. But did you know that he stands on that position because of organized religion...(hypocritical Christians)...rather than because of his feelings toward God? You know...hateful power hungry Christians who love to get all political rather than being Jesus? Don't dare try to tell me those people aren't out there. Let me tell you. I've lived there...and I have the T-shirt.

So...what happens when Pullman gets tired of being told what to think and believe by nasty people claiming Christianity...writes a book to make a point...and then Christians freak out and declare him unsafe without reading his stuff??? Ah...Pullman wins and Christians look bad. Sigh.

So...now that I have read TGC...here are my opinions.

1. Pullman is an amazing story teller. Amazing. His story is awesome. Its a tale of a brave little girl doing her best to find her way using love, strength, compassion, truth, and values to guide her. The story is rich with fictional cultures and peoples. The sacrifices in the story move you. Its a great great great story.

2. Pullman did a poor job of creating an allegory. I had to have Neal explain to me what he was really trying to say. It's a stretch. And soooo not threatening.

3. Pullman never attacks the nature of God is this first book. He might in others...I haven't read them and won't claim to know. Pullman does attack organized religion...especially the Catholic church. I don't blame him.

4. I have heard...from Neal...and he's pretty reliable...that later in the trilogy one of the characters does kill God. By reaching out and touching him and all his particles explode into nothingness. Ummmmmm...you have got to be kidding me.

5. I know that my God is all powerful, all knowing, the creator of all things good, wiser than me, everywhere, gracious, compassionate, loving, gentle, jealous, real, living, never agings, never sleeping, never failing, and giving. Why would I ever be threatened by this book and some sad man's views of religion and maybe God. I'm not. Jesus is so much bigger than TGC.

6. I would use TGC as a tool with my kids if they were older...to teach them about how sad it is when church isn't safe for people, how lost people are without Christ to guide their minds and hearts, to remind them how big God really is, to shine the beauty of Christ into thier minds. It might even be an interesting place to discuss the nature of our souls...and how they were made to follow God's plan and how we need him so badly.

7. I'm ashamed of how some people claiming Christ have been so threatened and freaked out about TGC. It isn't "bad news". Its news we need to hear and then respond in love knowing how awesome our God really is.

8. If anyone ever tells me again how TGC is a bad story...I'm going to tell exactly why I think its a good story. Both for its literary value and its value beyond. I would also suggest they pray for Pullman to find someone who can demonstrate the true nature of Christ to him...and pray for the souls of those who must have hurt him so badly in the name of Christ.

"If we are the body...why aren't his arms reaching...why aren't his hands healing...why aren't his feet going."

and..................I cut 6 inches off my hair today. I'll post a picture sometime. :)

8 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of your hair.

    (thought I'd clear up the thought from my previous comment, in case you thought I wanted you to post a picture of Pullman).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Can't wait to see your hair! I am thinking about cutting mine again, don't know how short to go...
    You know you make me think a lot, make me have to investigate things for myself?? Not that it's a bad thing, but I'm too sleep deprived right now to think this hard! :-) But still wouldn't consider reading this book though, just because I am not a big "fantasy" fan. I don't like Chronicles of Narnia or Lord of the Rings or anything like that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way- I will second Raider in saying- you write very well! I wish I had your gift for articulatinig my thoughts, feelings and my faith... your words come to life! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahahahahahahahhah Laura, you crack me up. Poor Pullman...I'd bet he's dying for a some "face time" on my blog...so sad for him. :)

    Suezque...ah...thanks. You are always so sweet to me. Although I'm not sure if I can keep you if you don't love love love The Chronicles of Narnia. Who are you? Just teasing.

    I appreciate what you said...about making you think...and how you
    made that sound...nice. After I heard that you didn't like the red tent I laid awake that night imaging myself at an iquistion table explaining myself to the family clan on why I THINK the way I do about the red tent. My thoughts go a little crazy at night. Its hard for me to think about others not liking what I think or feel. I'm determined to master that insecurity by the time I'm 30.

    So thanks for the love...keep it coming...I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't feel bad about me not liking the book- everybody has different taste. You may not like those books I recommended to you either... :-) About Narnia and the likes- I am just not a big "imagination" person- if it isn't something that could happen in real life, I just don't get into it that much... I'm weird like that :-) Glad you love me anyway though! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm w/ Suez on the fantasy thing. I don't like LOTR or Harry potter...but I do like Narnia -- not to read, but to see the movie.

    I can't go so far as to say I like books that could happen in real life b/c some of the romance stories I used to read obsessively weren't exactly believable. =)

    IF I did like fantasy, I would be tempted to read this book just to check out the things you said about it...but I would check it out from the library vs. buying it. I have a hard time giving money to people who kill God, even if it's to make a point. =) That's also why we avoid certain movies with certain actors. (Hope I don't open a can of worms with this comment!)

    Love you!

    I still need to go get The Red Tent, that sounds like my kind of story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello. It's been a long time LADY!

    I think I shall chime in here on this post because I had the same thoughts as Neal... so I read the book and COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN.

    SOOOOOOOOOO good. I'm waiting for the movie on DVD. I have not read the other books in the series but I was discussing it with Jim Baird the other day and he told me the other two books are considerably darker and not as thrilling. He said they are actually depressing. So I probably won't read them.

    In other news... I'd like to hear from you, yo.

    ReplyDelete