Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Dodge City


Why oh why you say should I be grateful for Dodge City, Kansas? Well, outside of Boot Hill and the Wax Museum...no it isn't the most exciting town. The feedlots, tumbleweeds, dryness, and no trees do not exactly make it the most exotic of locations.

But ... there are some people there who I love soooooo much. I'm so grateful that they are all in one place where I can see them and love on them when I go there. And my Aunt Sara's house is one of the few places left intact from my childhood. One of the few places that where Addy and Ellie play...I once played. Being in my aunts house with my kids always brings back floods of memories from my smallish days. The days when nothing mattered but the toys, and the sunshine outside, and what was for lunch.

And every once in a while the glories of Dodge come to visit me. My dad and my Aunt Niece and Uncle Stan got to spend some time with us this week. I love getting just a few minutes to love and laugh with each other. And something about the way Ellie always cries out, "Grandpa Les-e-lie" (rhyming with celery) brings me immense and unreplacable joy.

I am so thankful for my family...and the connection that have been renewed over the last year and a half.

I am also grateful for pacemakers and bypass surgerys that make all that possible.

Which really means I am thankful for the Great Physician.

Thanks to Laura for hosting!

7 comments:

  1. I love how you put that Addie and Ellie can play where you once played. That is SO special!! I love it when my kids get to experience the same things I did growing up. (Of course they do their playing with swords and light sabors...I did mine with dollies and dishes...but still!) Thanks for your awesome Gratituesday post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should let us know the next time you're headed to Dodge- maybe we could meet you for lunch or something... I have been through there many times in the last 2 1/2 years, but have yet to get my husband to stop so I could be a tourist... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to go to Dodge City, KS. My grandmother grew up near there, and I believe the old homestead is still there, in the hands of my grandmother's cousins's kid's kids. One of these days, I'll make it there, just to say I've been!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jayme -

    How deliciously put. I can now feel some of the depth of your gratitude for being in that special place and enjoying those precious experiences. Thank you for sharing!

    Alyson
    http://threepsinapod.blogspot.com/2008/04/i-have-so-many-things-to-be-grateful.html#links

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat! I also got a kick out of your blog title and description--cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you certainly do have things to be thankful for today. I tend to get too caught up in the "politics" of being with my family to step back and enjoy the fact that my children are building some memories in the places where I built some of my own. Thank you for reminding me to be mindful of this on our next trip to see my family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read a Christian women's blog at girltalk.blogs.com. They're doing a section on women and our words. Maybe you would find it encouraging. FYI - I found your blog thru Jill's. You and I met at their house - I'm Mason's mom.

    ReplyDelete