Thursday, April 24, 2008

888 update

Ok...I know. I really need to post the whole entire list of book I am trying to get through. Maybe I will later today. I am still trucking through the list, though I am a little behind. The last several books I have read have really just been for fun. But the last one I read warranted a post.

I just finished reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. It was...so good. Good in the ways that it stays with you and you think and think and think and think about it. It is the story of a dad and a son who are one of the few remaining humans on earth after a disaster have ravaged the earth. It isn't clear what happened exactly...you know...human-caused or natural disaster...but things are bad. Bad like...its hard to find food and shoes and be safe from the bands of people who are out to kill and eat you. The bulk of the story is the relationship of the dad and the son. The dad probably has cancer or something else life-stealing...and knows he is going to die and is just trying to get his kid to the safest place possible before he dies. The safest place possible...is like...the area of the world most likely he can keep on the move, not freeze, find food, and may get lucky and run into someone good.

Its a book of the best part of humanity...and the worst. I keep thinking...what would I do in that situation...could I live so fiercely on nothing but survival and the love of the smallish person I was with. It is easy to think so...but even the mom in the story chose something other than the smallish person. There is no other way to describe it...living fiercely.

I think it ought to be required reading for humans. And what I think is so funny...is that the theme of the story...is such a popular one right now. Like...Cloverfield and I am Legend.

I have an overwhelming urge to go steal a cart from Dillon's...buy a tarp...and buy a couple flats of canned food. Read the book and you will know why.

2 comments: