Thursday, July 17, 2008

Kim's Birthday

July 16th. Would have been...should have been...Kim's Birthday.

And the only course of action was to go. To her grave. On her day. And to put flowers on her grave...as a way to honor her. Sigh. And it was hard.

I took the girls with me. Neal and Addy have been discussing what a soul is...and how Kim and Gary are still living. And where their bodies are. Tough stuff.

And of course...they are only buried about 5 miles from the field they died in...so once again I drove there. But of course the car is gone now. I cried. The path of the tornado is still so visible.

And this time at the graves, the headstone is up. And its weird to put it on my blog...but whatever. I'm feeling a little frazzled from the trip and the emotional upheavel...but I know that I will still be ok. And there is a least another first out of the way. Two even. The first time it was Kim's birthday -- and the first time seeing the stone.

Neal's parents stone is already up for a future day. I informed Neal's dad as soon as we got out of the car that HE got the lovely job of explaining to Addy why there are TWO stones instead of one. Because believe me...she noticed and asked about it right away. CREEEEEPY!


I took daisies...because she loved them...in two super fun bright colors. Because...those are the ones she would have picked I think. And then I took white roses for her...red for Gary...and pink that symbolized the beauty they made together.

And I shared some daisies with a special aunt...who I know is enjoying being with Gary and Kim. (I love you, Laura!)

6 comments:

  1. Your pictures turned out great. Thanks for sharing them with us. How did the girls do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm gonna have to quit coming to your blog... you keep making me cry. (smile)

    Thanks for sharing the pictures and your day with us...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are taking great pictures with that camera! The flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for letting us be a part of your day. I love all of the flowers you took and all the meaning behind them. She would have loved those bright, pretty daisies. I'm glad the stones are up. There's something about the stones...

    And, thank you for giving flowers to my mama. You make me happy. (Even though I'm crying...)

    Love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just read your healing post...so glad you are feeling a little better and are giving yourself permission to have joy again. it's amamzing how many lies we believe that are so destructive. good for you that you faced that with the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just Beautiful.

    You do honor her, by telling your kids how wonderful she was, and how she trusted in God.

    ReplyDelete