Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Life Lessons Learned #4 and Gratituesday


God is big and infinate. But at the same time he is personal and sooo tender. And he holds our fragile little lives in his hands...

...and he did something for me that has just...blown my mind. He gave me a gift yesterday...one there is no other way it could have been...but for God to know loooong before May 23rd what was to happen and what I would need.

Kim was bringing me a digital camera. And I was sooooooo excited to be able to put pictures on my blog. And everyone knew it.

When I heard about the tornado...one of the first million thoughts was about the camera being lost to the tornado. And one of the first things Sally and I talked about that morning we found out was the camera.

Me: So much for the camera.
Sally: You never know. You might get it yet.

I doubted that even if it was found...it would work...or that Kim's family would know it was meant for me.

But -- believe it or not -- Kim's mom walked in with a very muddy camera case with a working camera inside...saying "Here is the camera Kim was bringing for Jayme."

I immediatly started sobbing and announced I wanted to find a "store" where I could trade in the camera for Kim. Holding that camera in my hand hurt. Such a precious blessing...but such a painful blessing too.

But there were no cords or power cables. No biggie...I can always order one.

EXCEPT. I prayed specfically for God to reveal his tenderness to me.

One of my small group friends invited me over to go swimming. When I had arrived in her kitchen--

L: Hey...I have something for you. But you can't cry. I don't want to cry.
Me: Ok. *starting to sniffle*
L: Did you get your digital camera?
Me: Actually...I did.
L: Oh...I was going to give you this one.
Me: ****GASP***** That is the SAME EXACT CAMERA I got from Kim!!!!!! Except I don't have the cords...like these.
L: You can have them. They have just been sitting here in this cabinet.
Me: *crying* How can that be!!!!!!!!!! How can that be you just have these sitting here waiting for me!!!!!!!!
L: Don't cry...I don't have waterproof mascara on.
Me: But...God put them there!
L: We always use J's camera...this one of mine just sits in here.

Isn't that amazing? God held life and time and people and space and relationships all his hand long before May 23rd. And he took the time and thought to show me such tenderness by placing that cord in her cabinet for me.

Ohhh...he is soooo good. I love how Laura (the hostess with the mostess for Gratituesday) talked on her blog about how God equals our biggest pain with his biggest comforts.

Amazing. And in honor of the gift from Kim and the Lord...here are my first bloggy pictures from the new camera. :)

One day in my grief all I could do was help the girls paint.



10 comments:

  1. Another great lesson that can easily be overlooked. I'm trying to make mental notes to put your lessons into practice in my life.

    I just wanted to say that I felt so selfish when one of my first many thoughts was about that camera too. I'm so excited that it is was meant to be, and I get to see pictures of your life! Your girls are gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEA for your pictures on the most precious camera in the whole world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it when you told me that Kim's camera survived the tornado and now I'm even more excited about how God completed the package for you. GOD IS SOOOO GOOD!!!!! So good. He's SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just told Ashley this story as I told her about Daisy's daughter...which I just posted about, too.

    God is SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I have no other words, cause I'm crying about how GOOD God is to us, his children. Just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome that you received such a blessing! Thanks for the lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just thinking about all of those late nights of scrapbooking at your table. Haha. I'm selling all of (most of) my stuff BTW. I've started to do digital scrapbooking, it's much more organized and I'm not dragging stuff all over the place :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, so I'm catching up on your blog and I'm crying all over again. I'm clinging tighter to the ones I love and am motivated by your encouragement!

    Oh, and I'm right there with you on the kindergarten thoughts. They are growing up far too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering about the camera myself. I was going to ask about it this week. Wow. All I can say, and think, is WOW.

    I was thinking of buying a new camera (I have been derailed by car repair expenses) but I was thinking about passing my hand-me-down camera to you, if you didn't find it.

    DH's boss recently lost his son, and he was reading a book about dealing with grief, and he planted a little sitting garden area in front of his business to honor his son. It is really pretty. I think it is great that you helped the girls paint. Therapeutic, no?

    "My God is so BIG, so strong and so mighty, there's nothing my God cannot do!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wait... so you now have TWO new-to-you cameras? Or did you just keep the cords?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just kept the cords. :) The one from Kim's tornado was actually in better shape than the other one!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete