Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Things I learned in California

"That was FUN!" --said by a little girl next to us while I was waiting in the KC airport to head to California. She had just gone through security and was putting on her shoes. I thought, "Me too." I love love love the airport and flying and the lines and the waiting and the layovers and the whole process. I had the biggest dopiest grin on my face while we were standing in the big line to check our baggage. Sally just rolled her eyes at me.

Anyway...reduced to 10...here are some things are learned on my trip.

1. If a magic genie offered me the chance to trade Neal, Addy, and Ellie for a huge beautiful house by the beach with a rich husband...not in a million years would that ever be worth it. Sometimes...the Jones have hard lives. I love my tiny townhouse with my precious family. I am so thankful for Neal.

2. Sally has these amazing friends. Almost all of them have taken a skill...and found a super creative way to use it to bless others. This is something I am missing in my life...and am really mulling over the experience of Sally's baby shower in my mind. How cool to be able to grace someone else. Even the mom with 3 kids was dying her own onsies. Amazing. And for the love...I need a Natasha bag.

3. And on that note...there is nothing like friendship. It enriches life when you share it with others. I knew this...but it doesn't hurt to be reminded.

4. I learned that TIME OUT from the daily grind is soooooooo important. Jill told me I would come back 1000 percent. I did. I'm probably down to about 300 percent now that I have been smacked upside the head with my families illnesses. But still...I don't feel totally drained...and I don't mind doing things for my family. The reserve tank needs some attention some times...you know?

5. I love to read. I knew this of course...but I was reminded. If I had a spare moment...I found a quiet place and read. I need to try harder to read at home.

6. Up until we moved to our townhouse...I really worked hard at putting my "stamp" on our home. I haven't tried so hard here. The girls homes I saw in California were beautiful and fun...and works in progress. I forgot how fun it is to work on your home.

7. It does NO ONE any good to get stressed out about a schedule. Does it Sally? If you are late...you are late. Enjoy the people you are with...enjoy the sun...enjoy the journey. Relax...mostly no one even notices when you get somewhere late. It isn't worth the stress.

8. Mommy-hood is so fun. I really needed a break...and I enjoyed every single moment...but I was also reminded watching all the mommies around me how much I love to be a mommy. It's the best thing ever.

9. I fell in love with Spring. Normally...I could take it or leave it. I really enjoy snow, cold, fall, ect. Eh...spring. But it was so fun to see Spring start early and enjoy the sun and outside. And just the idea of going barefoot and standing in your front door enjoying the breeze...its just nice.

10. I am small. I forget. I forget how small I am...and how big the world is...and how much world there is. I forget how big really big cities are...and how many people there are. That means that God....is really really really really big. :)

7 comments:

  1. What a great list! Glad you are home and recharged (and hopefully everyone is getting better). I miss you!
    Love ya! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this post!! Well said...all the stuff about being a mommy and about God and about life. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had fun. I really worried about how much I was dragging you around to meet my friends, but I really wanted you to know who I was talking about when I chatter on about them. Thanks for going with me!!!

    Oh, and I notice when I'm late...even if nobody else does. Just had to get that in there. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you learned some great lessons in CA! And it would seem to me that you are getting plenty of reading done, how many books have your read in your 888 challenge so far? Me, not even 2.

    PS. I don't know your zip :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I've been meaning to ask...are you still loving your haircut??

    Mom and Dad are planning a trip to KC right after they get here (to shop at Costco!) - in case you need another cut...or a shopping spree at your new favorite store. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. actually...I WOULD like a small adjustment to my hair...and there is something VERY specific I would like from COSTCO.

    Maybe I can go...we'll have to see if I could work that out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. so . . i'm gonna take credit for your #7 :) glad i could help you learn that little lesson in life! ;) LOL

    ReplyDelete