Saturday, March 15, 2008

10 Things I am LOVING about California

1. The Beach. Enough said.

2. The vegetation here. Orange trees, eucalyptus trees, olive trees, almond trees, grape vines, carrots, lemon trees, and all other strange and wonderful trees and plants that grow everywhere.

3. Stucco. If I could -- I would have a stucco house. I think its beautiful. However, stucco does not work in Kansas. Apparently Sally was also sad when learning of this truth.

4. Jamba Juice. Enough said.

5. The mountains. The beach AND the mountains. It's like a fairy land.

6. Dewars. It's a candy and ice cream soda place. It is the best food I have had here so far. I had a red and white. Vanilla ice cream topped with strawberries...topped with strawberry ice cream topped with marshmallow. Oh wow.

7. No one really has screen doors here. They just open the front door and stand in the doorway in bare feet enjoying the lovely lovely lovely warm spring breeze and sun streaming in. Isn't that weird...no screen doors!!!!

8. No wind. This means when the sun shines...its nice and comfy warm outside. The freezing jarring wind of Kansas doesn't blow away the warm. I totally sat outside and had lunch in a courtyard on a partly sunny day and it was nice. I didn't have to hold my food down, and wasn't freezing from the wind.

9. This is something I'm sure that just applies to Bakersfield...but its soooo easy to navigate the town. There are lots of wide roads to go east/west and north/south with fewer stoplights...unlike Wichita where you about 3 highways to use (which are always under construction) and the east/west streets are toooo small and crowded and the downtown area is nuts...as well as the east side. It gets all curvy and crazy around Raytheon.

10. It never storms badly here. Now...I would miss the big thunderstorms of the prairie but ... there are no damaging storms here. That's nice. Especially nice for the owner of the 5 million dollar home on the coast.

3 comments:

  1. We have Jamba Juice and Stucco in Oklahoma.

    AND a state song with a spelling lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Fresno and it's very easy to navigate as well. The streets all run N S E or W. The only annoying thing is that the street names will continue on for miles and miles even though the street stops and starts. Drives my husband nuts (we moved from New Zealand late last year)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stucco is not any good in Oklahoma, either. Too wet here. I would NEVER have a flat roof here. In New Mexico, it works great.

    I like visiting cities that were planned as Mormon communities. You can always find your way. Numbered streets north and south, east and west, and you start the count at the middle, where the Temple is. Gotta love well-planned grid cities.

    ReplyDelete