Friday, February 15, 2008

not again...

When you become a mom...you learn all the little subtle sounds in the voices of your children. If their voice sounds one way...you know something is really wrong and you run. If their voice sounds another way...you know to just walk quickly. You know if there is teasing, panic, anger, frustration, fear, silliness...just in the tone.

That being said...the word "MOM!" can sound so many different ways. Some make my head snap up...some I ignore.

The "MOM"! that rang out tonight in my house had me moving before I heard the rest of the sentance.......which was "Ellie is throwing up!"

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!! I thought we already did this once this season! And I figured that it would be Addy whose immune system was being tested...but its really Ellie that gets the most junkies...or at least seems to start with her. Where does she pick this crud up? She's home with me most of the time? And she's 3...not 1. She doesn't put every little thing in her mouth anymore. grrrrrrrrr.

So...its 12:15 and I'm up listening to the breathing of my sick kiddo on the couch...waiting to jump with the barf bowl. She has thrown up SIX times tonight. I have even given up sticking her in the bath everytime...just a wipe down with baby wipes since she'll probably urp again in the next 20 min. We'll wait for a good no urp stretch before bath number 3.

Poor Neal...he has to work at 8 in the morning...(which is extremely rare). He is sleeping on the floor next to Addy in fear that she will wake up with puke all over her. He is stationed ready and waiting with a second barf bowl just in case. Addy is on the floor too...we have been "camping out" on the floor this week...so at least there are already piles and piles of blankets to sleep on. I drug a big cushion downstairs to sleep on if I ever make it there.

But in an effort to "rejoice in all things" -- I am trying to keep my attitude high and be thankful for the barf blessings.

* I'm thankful I live right behind a grocery store so any and all puke supplies are quickly and easily attainable.

* I'm thankful that I already had a list ready for the grocery store because of the yucky weather supposed to hit here tomorrow.

* I'm thankful that Neal was only outside during the first barf and not at work.

* I'm thankful that even though I had convinced myself the first time was a fluke...I had a bowl close by for number two.

* I'm thankful that my washing machine and dryer were not totally backed up and the 1st and 2nd round of towels, blankets, clothes, and lovies are already dry and ready to go again.

* I'm thankful that I have a carpet shampooer. I'll be using it in the morning.

* I'm thankful that the "build party" for Stuck in the Middle that was scheduled for 10 AM tomorrow got cancelled.

****************************************************

NOW I am thankful that Neal was upstairs with Addy...because she is also throwing up.

*I'm thankful that I am not a single parent. Whatever would you do if there was one mom for two sick kids? I don't know. How does that work when then you have more kids than parents? I was soooooooooooo thankful that while Addy was in the bathtub getting her hair washed that Neal was downstairs with the barf bowl for Ellie. That makes 7 times for her. I put Addy's bed right outside the bathroom door.

* I'm thankful that at least so far...neither parent has thrown up. Tomorrow could be a very very very long day.

Please please Lord...if this isn't a 12 hour bug...would you make it so?
Please please Lord...can mommy be immune to this one? Just this once?

5 comments:

  1. Oh, that sounds not good. Maybe it was that straw at lunch the other day??

    I'm SO not looking forward to barf days in my future, and I will need your advice on how to NOT throw up myself.

    I hope those girls feel better soon. This stomach stuff going aruond sounds nasty (Ashley's kids have both been sick all week). I'm thinking of you as I'm up in the middle of the night, too...tired, but can't possibly sleep. Thank goodness for our laptops, huh??

    Love you guys! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuck-O! Sorry you guys are sick again. It's misreable and frustrating I'm sure. Praying for you guys...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the encouragement...

    ...this bug is NASTY. I stopped counting how many times Ellie threw up after 12. And Addy was always about 20 min behind.

    I thought Ellie would NEVER stop heaving...it was the saddest thing ever. But this morning everyone seems to be better...at least the sprite is staying down so far.

    love you guys...

    Oh and Sally...you just have to breathe so you can't smell...and keep busy helping clean up your kid and the mess and then its not so bad. If I can smell it or sit there and watch or stare at it...I get urpy too. Breathe and Move. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh I am SOOO sorry! I HATE it when that stuff starts up at our house!

    Last fall, 5 out of 6 of us got it at once...except Matt was out of the state on a soccer trip (with the flu...on a 12 hour bus trip), and I was home by myself with all four boys! It was AWEFUL!!! The only thing that saved me is that Asa was the one that was not sick, and he took care of all of us, even Malachi. He's the best 10 year old in the WORLD!

    Okay, I'm praying that you and Neal WILL NOT get it!!

    So, you won't. But if you do, I'll send Asa over to help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is one amazing 10 year old. Would you please please send him down this way? :) I was thinking about you last night Laura...wondering what on earth I would do if there was 4 kids. You MUST be wonder woman. AHA! I have found you out...I know your secret identity!!!!!!!!!!!

    And for the love...send Asa with some miracle magic cleaner that gets the smell out of carpet.

    If I could I would roll it up and stick it in the washing machine.

    ReplyDelete