Saturday, February 16, 2008

my thoughts on germs

Sigh. Times like today always make you re-evaluate your take on germs. On the one hand...I want to go crazy and run out and buy Hand Sanitzer by the gallon. Some to use on hands...and some to slather over every flat surface, handle, knob, toy, and button in the house. And in the exact next moment I want to laugh because I know that is soooooooooo not me.

I do not want to be the mom who

a. makes her kids wash their hands each time they touch their nose
b. washes her own hands when she touches the floor
c. freaks out in public places out commonly touched things

My mom and Neal swear that first with Addy I was crazy and boiled everything. I have NO memory of this. NONE. But even if its true...it passed quickly. I do remember boiling bottle niples and suckies first out of the package...but they say I repeatedly boiled things. Now I just rip them out of the package and blow them off. :)

I know lots of places are dirty. I know lots of things are growing bacterium by the ga-gillion. I know that someone who went to the bathroom and didn't wash their hands probably just sat in my chair at this table. I did that swabby thing in high school with the bathroom sink, public phone, and drinking fountain. I know I know I know.

But I also stand firm that the world is dirty. And letting our immune systems encounter icky things is actually good for us. Most of the time I don't use antibacterial stuff. (Today I bought clorox wipes.) And I believe with all my heart that dirt doesn't hurt anyone. Even if there is bacteria in it. Which there is.

And I can go crazy crazy crazy about tables in restaurants, rigirous hand washing (although today I have lost the top 2 layers of skin from hand washing),toy sanitizing, "don't touch that-ness". But...all it takes in ONE TEEEEENY TINY Microbial to make you throw up. And that one...it will get through your defenses. It WILL.

So I say...relax...most of the time everyone will be ok...and some times...one microbial will get through. That's life. But the rest of the time...defenses need practice. So.

Did I freak out when Ellie picked up her gum off the floor at Wal-Mart and put it back in her mouth...for about 4.2 seconds. Then...oh well. That's life. And its too late. Like someone told me...you can be insanely careful...but the next thing you know...your kid is licking the banister from the top of the stairs to the bottom of the stairs at Disney world.

What will be...will be. :)

2 comments:

  1. So true! And don't think that hospitals are immune because they sanitize like crazy- guess what? SICK people are in hospitals! And SICK people mean GERMS! My mom is always bring home some germ from work (she works in the ER), and while she doesn't usually get sick because she's around the germs all the time, my dad has ended up with some pretty ugly colds and such because of it- because he doesn't get out that much to keep his immune system alert. And my uncle got a staph infection after his open-heart surgery- thankfully it wasn't too bad.
    Hope you guys are doing better! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you thinking about that straw again?? =)

    Some things I can let go, but others just gross me out too much. When you can SEE the yucky stuff (not just microbial stuff), that freaks me out...

    And Suez's video of lemons in restaurants totally has me grossed out now!

    ReplyDelete