Tuesday, February 12, 2008

crazy things that happened while the computer was gone

1. Ellie...and of course this happened to Ellie...got gum in her hair. And I...and of course this happened to me...didn't notice until about....12 hours later. So. The gum was past the point of being worked out of the hair with peanut butter or whatever.

Me: Jill...I know it's late but can you come over here??? And bring your scissors.
Jill: Do you want to try to cut it out?
Me: No. Come over here.

The next day Ellie was sporting a super cute new 'do that falls just below her chin. It's really cute...and her hair hadn't been cut in over a year...so it was time. And Jill did an amazing job. So Addy got a cut too...and now we all have cute shorter hair.

2. Neal got pulled over by a policedude for turning right on red. Thats right. For turning right on red.

PD: You can't turn right on red.
Neal: Yes you can.
PD: No you can't.
Neal: Yes I can.
PD: Not there. There is a sign.
Neal: No there isn't
PD: Yes there is.
Neal: No there isn't.
PD: Yes there is.
Neal: Show me.
PD: Oh...I guess there isn't.
Neal: So if you can't ticket me I will be on my way.

3. I speed dated in church. That's right. We went to an event called group link to get hooked up with other people for a small group. And alllll the people that came to this event had to line on both sides of a row of papers sporting fun topics to discuss in one minute. Things like...

Mountains or beaches? Discuss.
Describe your favortie scene from a movie.
Cats or dogs?
Most embarassing moment.
Fave e-bay purchase.

Longest 20 minutes of my life. But I think I got into a pretty cool small group. We will see...our first meeting is on Sunday night.

4. Addy has decided she cannot hear right out of her left ear. I'm still trying to decide how serious to take this decision.

Me: Are you trying to be funny? Because not being able to hear is pretty serious.
Addy: No...I can't hear the soft things as well as the loud things.
Me: Yeah...but thats normal.
Addy: No...I need more sound in this ear.
Me: But that would mean we need to take you to the dr.
Addy: Oh...I hear fine then. *grins*

I can see her both being silly and serious about this. I'm going to look into wax removal. Remember when Ellie had a giant amount of wax pulled out of her ear? Anybody know anything about this?

5. Neal had our taxes done by Feb 2. This is a record.

6. I have decided then that it is an ok time to annouce I am going to California in March with Sally. :) I'm excited and I don't care who knows it. And if anyone wants to judge me for this...I am immune. So there. I stand firm. I deserve to go...and we got a great deal on tickets. (I'm talking to myself...can you tell?)

7. I had a discussion about chewing with my 3 year old kid.

Ellie: Mama...what do you do with the toast in your mouth.
Me: I eat it. *huh?*
Ellie: No Mama...what do you do with the toast in your mouth.
Me: I eat it.
Ellie: *sighs and walks away*

Ellie: Whaf do i do wif the towst in mah mouf?
Me: Ellie...thats gross...you swallow it. *ooooh.*
Ellie: I tan't.
Me: Why not?
Ellie: I tan't.
Me: Take a drink and swallow that toast.
Ellie: *drinks*...ok.

Later at dinner:

Ellie: What do I do with the food in my mouth?
Me: You SWALLOW it.
Ellie: Ok.

What on earth???? I never knew the conversations I would have as a mom. And why oh why do I have to repeat everything 10 times???

Anyway...I'm so happy to have my outlet for the crazy back. :)

11 comments:

  1. You crack me up! Thanks for the note on my desk at work, by the way...you made me smile. I love all your funny stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're back! You need to post pics!
    Ear candles are supposed to work good for getting wax out. You can probably get them at Whole foods or somewhere similar. It sounds weird, but you stick the candle in your ear and light the end (the other end- the end NOT in your ear...) Marie has used them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO glad you're back to blogging. And it sounds like a lot has happened. I miss you guys!!

    And I'm SOOOO glad that I don't have to bite my tongue anymore about our trip. Woo hoo! Only a few more weeks!

    I did our taxes, too...not we just have to wait for our $$. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christi...You are welcome...we were there waiting on a video shoot to finish...and I was BORED..and so I played hearts and minesweeper and pinball on your computer...and then felt a little guilty about it...and then I got to thinking about you and then I decided you needed a "hello!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I think I can figure out the who you were not talking about the trip to (rent's?), but I can't figure out the why???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was afraid that I would get accused of not spending my money wisely. You know..."how are you gonna pay for a trip like that."

    Which ... sigh...has a lot of truth to it. But...I'm really paying for it with our tax return.

    I just...didn't want to get judged by anyone for buying a plane ticket when i could be buying groceries or gas or whatever sensible stuff with that money...not that our family ever goes without those things.

    Honestly it is a totally fluffy way to spend that money. I just decided I deserved it...but I also keep thinking about what I could be using that money for and I have to shut the guilt down for myself...let alone anyone else judgement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Travel = education. Travel isn't something that is just consumed and is no more - travel is an investment. It is an investment in yourself that, really, nobody can ever take away from you. You'll always carry with you a piece of every place that you go. Yeah, it is possible to go nuts on a trip and overspend - you can't suspend all reality. But travel will add some spice to life. And it's not just the trip, either. It is all the preparation, and all of the aftermath, and the photographs forever.

    Words to live by: it is easier to get forgiveness than permission. Go West, young lady!

    --RWR--

    ReplyDelete
  8. You ARE my favorite brother in law by sister in lawness.

    (I only have one--but that doesn't matter...you'd be my fave anyway.)

    If I have the approval of the right wing raider...all is well in the cloud factory. ahahah

    ReplyDelete
  9. And so says the guy who is on his way to Mexico. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um, if it makes you feel any better, I have been to CA twice in the last 4 years, without the kids, to have a "sister weekend" with my two CA sisters-in-law. I also felt guilt, but it was sooooo worth it and it was so good for the three of us. And Matt fed the kids vegetables while I was gone and everything! Okay, and you're gonna love the plane ride because you don't have to entertain anyone but yourself.

    I DO understand the mixed feelings about it...but now just LOOK FORWARD to it! You're gonna have so much fun.

    And, don't feel guilty anymore. SURELY your poor children and husband can find a bean and a grain of rice to eat since you squandered away the grocery money like this. :)

    Oh, I am so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. RWR words of wisdom are my motto! It's WAY easier to get forgiveness than to get permission (just don't tell your kids that yet!).

    Laura - she's not completely off the hook on the plane, she's going to have to make sure the 9 month pregnant woman next to her can reach her carry on luggage under the seat in front of her! =)

    ReplyDelete