Friday, February 22, 2008

my new phone policies

ATTENTION EVERYONE! THIS IS FOR YOU!

After getting ripped for not answering my phone each and every time it rang...I did so today and spent almost 3 straight hours on the phone. Not EVER again will I do that.

1. I reserve the right to not answer for my phone for ANY reason. Even if you don't like the reason. Even if its because my neighbor has toe fungus growing on the backyard tree and has nothing to do with me.

2. You may leave me a message, but do not put a time restriction on me until I return it. If its a under a week...you just got lucky.

3. You may chose not to leave me a message...I will probably still call you back but maybe not on that same day. Maybe tomorrow.

3a. I reserve the right to leave messages sitting in my inbox. For whatever reason I choose. This includes "I'm too lazy to delete them".

3b. I acknowledge that sometimes phones don't ring or record messages. You maybe should too.

4. I reserve to the right to absentmindedly leave my phone in the car and not immediatly go retreave it. I reserve the right to not know where it is.

5. I reserve the right to be on a different level, room, or hearing space than my phone. I do sometimes run the dishwasher, the washing machine, the vacuum, and the hair dryer all at once.

5a. I reserve the right to not violate my fashion/comfort by carrying my phone in my pocket all day. I am not a man.

6. I reserve the right to take my phone with me somewhere...but leave it in my pocket or purse where I may not hear it.

7. I reserve the right to not answer my phone if I am doing something else. Anything else.

8. I reserve the right to not answer my phone if I am tired. Which is a lot.

9. I reserve the right to not answer my phone because I don't know where it is. Which is a lot.

9a. I reserve the right to leave my phone on vibrate. I reserve the right to forget it's on vibrate. Forgetting usually gets me some peace.

10. If you feel like you may need emergency numbers...I will provide them for you. Use them only in the case of an emergency. Emergencies do not include thinking I am dead because I haven't answered my phone for 5 hours. They include births, bleeding, deaths, hospital visits and that is it.

11. I will always answer my phone if you are babysitting my kids and I am not with them.

12. If I ever fail to be reached in case of an actual emergency you can submit a written complaint. But you only have 3 hours after said emergency to actually do so. Otherwise they will be denied.

(note: I answered my phone when my sally went to the hospital and when neal needed help home from work feeling sick. I answered the phone when my Aunt Sara's uncle died. I'm not doing THAT bad.)

I WILL NOT LIVE AND DIE BY MY PHONE. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT -- GET ME A 911 ONLY PHONE. so there.

4 comments:

  1. Well if you haven't noticed- I don't call anyone! :-) So as long as you blog I'm okay! :-) What about sally going to the hospital???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay- reading things backwards... read your updates before sally's :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Jayme! I have two comments...

    1) I totally agree with you on this b/c I personally *hate* it when people answer the phone only to say, "sorry I can't talk to you." My sister Megan does this all the freaking time and it drives me nuts...

    2) I once had a "friend" freak out b/c I didn't return his phone calls, so he showed up to my house UNINVITED b/c he was "afriad something had happened to me." Where was I? Off shopping and ignoring his calls b/c he was way more interested in me than I would ever be in him... Can we say stalker? That was the last straw for me and I avoided him at all costs after that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm sure glad you answered my calls. And I am so exhausted after days like you just described - where you're on the phone for hours at a time. In fact, when I got home last night, I didn't want to call anyone else and tell them about my day.

    BUT, I would rather someone pick up the phone and tell me they can't talk than for me to wonder if the call went through, or if it won't even show up on their caller id, or wonder when I can expect a call back...I called The Colonel about 5 times yesterday on the way to the hospital, and I found out later that only one of those actually showed on his phone...so if I hadn't continued to redial, he wouldn't have even known I was calling!

    Of course, there are certain numbers that flash on my screen that I almost never answer the first time (don't worry - family isn't on that list!). =)

    ReplyDelete