Saturday, May 3, 2008

paths

So. I read 100 years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I'm 100 percent I just spelled that wrong. Anyway...I read it a long time ago...and I've already got a post about it. But...in this book...he talks about how people basically go on the same path throughout their days. How we don't really stray very much from the same basic steps from morning to night. And we lose things when something causes us to deviate from that path.

Like in the story, it isn't normally the aunt's job to bathe the kids. But one night she does, and being out of her path, she sets her ring down -- out of her norm -- on the counter and then later can't find it. Because she was off her path when that happened.

At the time when I was reading it...that struck me as so interesting. I'm guessing I have a path. NO...I KNOW I do. And the problem is that Ellie...has the SAME path. I am FOREVER tripping, crashing, and colliding into Ellie. If I move right and then fake left and then move backward -- guess who else moved right, faked left, and then moved backward. If I spin to the right and take two steps forward...Ellie does too...and we trip. If I move through a doorway...guess whose feet I am tripping over. If I turn around guess who I crash into and knock down. ELLIE.

Everyday that kid and I are grooving to the same steps -- its just weird. That's all I'm saying.

2 comments:

  1. Will you please get a facebook account :) Pretty please :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. no. I hate facebook. But maybe if you add a cherry???? eh...still no.

    ReplyDelete