Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Oh yeah....

I am learning that as my kids get older...I can no longer just expect them to spend their free and empty time just "playing." I mean sure...they will go hang in their room together and play for awhile...but thats no good for all day...or for even the whole time after school. They need something to DO.

I'm scrambbling a little bit to kick my mommyhood up a notch. I am trying to build up an arsenal of activities to direct them to, but I am also facing the challenge of being smack in the middle of a saggy baggy economy AND financial peace. Hmmm. So...I need free activities...with stuff already at home.

I found a really cool website that I have linked on my blog, called "Mom, I'm Bored." It has some great ideas.

It also finally dawned on me that my book loving family should head out to the library. However...even Addy would be the FIRST to tell you that I am terrible at returning books. Once I have a 10 cent fine...I get all nervous and crazy about going back into the library. And then I end up with an 80 dollar fine...and well. Neal doesn't even like me to go IN. I convinced him to let me have another chance...and we headed there last night.

And it was so fun. I knew they had a super fun children's library...but I didn't realize the girls would would run right for books and snuggle down in the overstuffed animals and read for awhile. Or that they had Addy's fave American Girl magazine. Or that they had oodles of puzzles and games. Or that they would have hard to find videos to take home...and books on tape for KIDS...and CD's of fun kids music.

We were hard pressed to keep our take home pile to under 20. And they begged for "reading time" before soccer when we got home. Which was very cool. Oh YEAH!

We came home with a really cool Lynn Cheney book on America...a very funny book about warthogs, a Toot and Puddle book (which of course makes them laugh), a giant book about all the really cool things you can build with legos, a Kit Kittridge book (which we have seen the movie but not the book...so it seems really exciting to read the book now), a book about a little girl who worried about school, a design book for Mommy, a DVD for the grown ups, a DVD for kids (which has several short little stories on it including Chicka Chick Boom Boom), a book on tape for Papa, a book on tape for Mommy from her 888 list, AND a new beloved bookmark for Addy.

Ellie's favorite part is that the children's library is painted to be like a castle...and how cool is that. The elevator door is a castle door and slides open all fun and exciting. We rode it twice.

Oh the treasures.

Duh...now if I can just keep from getting a fine. :)

7 comments:

  1. I'm not saying it works for me, but if you schedule a weekly trip to the library then you can always plan to return your books a week before they are due. Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should go to a store and see if they have any big boxes outside, especially if it's REFRIGERATOR BOX!

    Then they can make forts!

    My sister has also been making home-made play dough with her girls. I bet your MIL has that recipe since i remember making it as a kid. Jamie said it "smells like my childhood"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our library prints out a "recipt" that has when the books are due. I use it as the bookmark so I always have a reminder that is not too easily lost. The play dough sounds like a good idea. How do the girls feel about goop? I came across a recipe for that a while back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a book that tells you how to make silly putty. My MIL has a recipe for sidewalk chalk and for play dough.

    Our library has the same "receipt" with the due dates of your stuff. I use them for bookmarks too.

    I need to find my book that has a recipe for applesauce and cinnamon Christmas ornaments.

    I hope that your plans all work out well for you. Have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we love the library over here! john takes the boys all the time. i have not yet taken them, so i admire you for doing so. my sisters always racked up huge fines at the library, LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. scavenger hunts. Make some lists, give them to the girls and first one to find eveything on their list wins. Easy stuff like a blue sock, something that starts with the letter A, something you put on your head, etc.
    Also, kites. Hours of fun.
    Makayla

    ReplyDelete